THE BUSINESS OF CROP PRODUCTION & BIOFORTIFICATION
This session uncovers the opportunities in the production and sale of bio-fortified arable crops (grains and pulses), cash crops (oil palm, cocoa etc.) and vegetables
About the Session
Crop production is by far the largest sub-sector, making nearly 90% of agriculture’s nominal
GDP. The reason is very easy to see – no one can survive without food. Africa is
competitively positioned to thrive in this sector. For example, the United Nations Food and
Agriculture Organization estimated that Nigeria has 70.8 million hectares of agricultural
land as of 2016 but only 40% of this is currently under cultivation.
This session provides a detailed context on the business opportunities in this value chain and provides insight on what is required to start a thriving agricultural enterprise.
Key Take-aways from the Session
- Appreciate the opportunities in the production of arable crops (grains and pulses), cash crops (oil palm, cocoa etc.) and vegetables.
- Get valuable information on cultivatable land, varietal choice, fertilization regime, and other technical considerations for engaging in crop production and bio-fortification-type businesses
- Become aware of good agronomic and farm management practices for successful crop production business.
What is covered?
- What does crop production & biofortification entail?
- The Business Environment for crop production type businesses (Ease of doing business, Registration landscape, statistics etc.)
- An estimate of the size of the crop production and bio-fortification market
- The competitive environment in the crop production and bio-fortification niche
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from crop production.
- How do I choose a crop-based agribusiness to venture into?
- What are dominant key challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges?
- How do you fortify a crop and is it more profitable?
- What is the consumption /market pattern for each type of arable crop?
- How do I identify my customers/off-takers/target market for my crop production business?
- What are the key pitfalls to avoid in selecting a target market?
- Is there a market for bio-fortified crops?
- What are the most marketable fortified crops?
- What skills and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What regulation landscape should I be mindful of?
- Where can I get expert support?
- How do I discover investable crop production businesses?
- What are critical signals of a healthy, investable crop production business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in a crop production business?
Mon, 05 Jul, 2021
13:30hrs, GMT + 1
Meet the experts who will be discussing the topic
Register to Attend
Save your spot in the sessions you would love to attend