THE BUSINESS OF AGRO-PROCESSING & VALUE ADDITION
This session uncovers the key requirements to start any business in agro product processing and sheds light on the pitfalls to avoid when engaging in agro produce processing.
About the Session
Generally, Nigeria and indeed African countries export primary raw materials and import
processed or finished products that are sometimes 10x the raw material cost. The African
Development Bank (AfDB) estimates that 62% of Africa’s exports are primary products,
indicating the weakness and the untapped opportunities yet to be fully explored in
processing or value addition.
This session provides a detailed context on the business opportunities in the agro processing value chain and offers insights on what is required to start a thriving agricultural enterprise.
Key Take-aways from the session
- Appreciate the scope of the opportunities in the Agro Processing & Value Addition sector.
- Understand the key requirements to start any business in agro product processing
- Know the pitfalls to avoid when engaging in the value chain
What is covered?
- What does Agro-processing and value addition entail?
- The Business Environment (Ease of doing business, Registration landscape, statistics etc
- An estimate of the size of the agro-processing and value addition market
- The competitive environment in the agro-processing and value addition space
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from agro-processing
- How do I choose an agro-processing agribusiness to venture into?
- What are the dominant challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges
- What is the consumption /market pattern for processed/value-added agricultural products?
- How do I identify my customers/off-takers/target market?
- What are the key pitfalls to avoid in selecting a target market?
- Is there a market for value-added products?
- What is the circular economy?
- What agro-processing opportunities does the circular economy present?
- Where can one get more information about how to engage in the circular economy?
- What skill and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What regulation landscape should I be mindful of?
- How much skill do I need and where can I get expert support?
- How do I discover investable agro-processing businesses?
- What are critical signals of a healthy, investable agro-processing business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in an agro-processing business?
Tue, 06 Jul, 2021
09:30hrs, GMT + 1
Register to Attend
Save your spot in the sessions you would love to attend