The Business of Nutrition & Lifestyle
Discover different ways you can engage in the nutrition and lifestyle space and understand what is required to start a business across that value chain.
About the Session
Feeding the world is not just about filling up the stomachs, but nourishing bodies as well - which is why now, more than ever, the pressure to improve on nutritional choices is increasing. Nigerians are becoming increasingly health conscious and interested in nutrition and fitness. Our curiosity for achieving and maintaining weight loss is still unsated. It seems the medical, social, and financial costs of obesity have driven a persistent number of inquiries into the topic across sub-regions in the last decade. Other benefits of eating healthy such as heart health, reduced cancer risks, improved physical and mental performance, and weight loss have encouraged people to search for healthier nutrition options.
Dieting has carved a space for itself in Nigeria’s notoriously starch-based diet, with many embracing innovations like vegan Nigerian food, the keto diet, gluten-free diet, intermittent fasting, and rapid cleanses in a bid to fast-track weight loss and achieve attractive figures
This trend is having an impact on the variety and quantity of staple food items as well as fruit and vegetables being consumed and contributing to the growing popularity of new businesses focused on making access to health foods easier, and helping health-conscious people stay accountable to their health development goals.
More business opportunities will come up in this value chain - as individuals become more aware of the need for healthy lifestyle practices
What will be covered?
This session will expose participants to the active and emerging opportunities in nutrition and lifestyle management and provide relevant guidelines to aid an intending entrepreneur or investor succeed at it. Participants will be exposed to:
- How to identify viable opportunities around you in the nutrition and lifestyle sector
- Potential ways you can engage in the nutrition and lifestyle business.
- Requirements to start a business across the value chain.
- What is required to position your nutrition and lifestyle brand
- What qualifies a business to be seen as a “nutrition & lifestyle” business?
- Nutrition as the bedrock of agriculture (Connecting the dots…)
- What is Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture and what is its impact on our lifestyle?
- An estimate of the size of the Nutrition & lifestyle market
- The competitive environment for Nutrition & lifestyle businesses
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from a typical Nutriition & lifestyle business.
- In what ways can I play in the nutrition and lifestyle niche?
- How do I identify the appropriate, viable nutrition and lifestyle opportunities to engage in?
- What are dominant key challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges?
- Trends that are driving the nutrition and lifestyle niche, today.
- Consumption /market pattern for organic produce and nutrition and lifestyle products and services
- How do I identify customers/off-takers/target market for my nutrition/lifestyle business?
- What are the key pitfalls to avoid in selecting a target market for a nutrition business?
- What is required to position one’s business as a nutrition and lifestyle brand?
- What skill and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What regulation landscape should I be mindful of?
- Where can one, who is interested in the sector, get expert support?
- How do I discover investable Nutrition & lifestyle businesses?
- What are critical signals off a healthy, invest-able Nutrition & lifestyle business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in a Nutrition & lifestyle business?
- This session is dedicated to answering selected questions sent in by the audience on nutrition and lifestyle
Mon, 05 Jul, 2021
11:00hrs, GMT + 1
Meet the experts who will be discussing the topic
Dr Ifeoma Monye
Internationally Certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician, Founder, Brookfield Centre for Lifestyle MedicinePanelist
What help do you need?
Share what help you may need and we will be happy to share any information or resource that might be useful to support your journey.