The Business of Animal Husbandry
Take a deep dive into the opportunities in raising livestock (with specific focus on Cattle/goat/sheep Pigs and Poultry) and understand what is required to start a business in these value chains.
About the Session
Nigeria is a major hub of animal product consumption in West Africa. Animal proteins such as meat, chicken, pork, mutton, snail etc. are found in a wide variety of Nigerian meals. Nigerians view it as a sign of good living and often reserve it as a ‘prize’ for finishing a plate of food.
A historic demographic expansion, a spectacular change in food habits and a population growth nearing 2.8% per year, is has forced the country to import more than 25% of the beef it consumes. According to the CBN, the demand for poultry in 2019 was estimated at over 200 million birds (vs 165million produced) , while the demand for eggs was about 790,000MT (vs 650,000 MT produced) and 1,500,000MT (vs 350,000MT produced) for poultry meat, leaving a huge demand gap which, unfortunately, is met through smuggling. Pig Farming also remains a very lucrative livestock venture. In spite of high demand and propensity for pork, research has shown that pig production in Nigeria is inadequate and thus requires drastic measures to ensure its economic improvement and sustainability.
Clearly, there is a market to be tapped into in Animal husbandry.
What will be covered?
This session focuses attention on the opportunities in the value chain and highlights fundamentals that aspiring livestock business entrepreneurs and investors need to know, to thrive in that sector. Participants will be exposed to:
- Opportunities in raising livestock (with specific focus on Cattle/goat/sheep Pigs and Poultry)
- Requirements to start a business in raising livestock.
- What does animal husbandry entail?
- The Business Environment for animal husbandry type business (Ease of doing business, Registration landscape, statistics etc.)
- An estimate of the size of the Animal Husbandry market
- The competitive environment in the Animal husbandry niche
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from animal production.
- How do I know the right animal-husbandry agribusiness to venture into?
- What are the key challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges?
- What is the consumption /market pattern for each type of livestock in focus?
- How do I identify customers/off-takers/target market for my animal husbandry business?
- What are the key pitfalls to avoid in selecting a target market?
- What are the most marketable livestock?
- What skill and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What regulation landscape should I be mindful of?
- Where can I get expert support?
- How do I discover investable animal husbandry businesses?
- What are critical signals off a healthy, invest-able crop animal husbandry business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in an animal husbandry business?
- This session is dedicated to answering selected questions sent in by the audience on animal husbandry
Tue, 06 Jul, 2021
09:00hrs, GMT + 1
Meet the experts who will be discussing the topic
What help do you need?
Share what help you may need and we will be happy to share any information or resource that might be useful to support your journey.