The Business of Agro-Logistics & Trade
Understand key considerations to account for, in starting a business and thriving in logistics (storage and transportation), wholesale and retail of raw and processed agro produce.
About the Session
How do we enable a crop or livestock farmer to sell their commodities to the most profitable customer base with minimal loss? Answering this question involves several sets of activities involved in getting Agric produce from farm gate to the customer’s plate. This includes transportation and transshipment to wholesalers and retailers, storage & warehousing of the items, and the mechanics of the actual sale (within country or as export).
Because the goods or commodities transported are by nature sometimes heavy, bulky, or highly perishable, they need to be transferred with adequate efficiency from areas of production to areas of consumption with the least delay, cost, and safety. Unfortunately, farmers still suffer considerable post-harvest losses between farm and the plate, and much of this occurs during transportation and storage.
Another critical issue is getting access to the most profitable market – locally or internationally. According to a PwC report, despite the steady growth in the value of Nigeria's agriculture exports over the last three years (2016 to 2018), the country's agriculture exports to total exports remained below 2%. Since the agriculture sector is the largest contributor to Nigeria's GDP (25% in 2018), unlocking the potential of agricultural exports is key.
What will be covered?
This session will simplify the agro logistics & trade value chain and offer basic guidance on how to start or invest in a business in this sector space. Participants will be exposed to:
- Details of the market in logistics (storage and transportation), wholesale, and retail of raw and processed agro produce.
- Considerations to account for in starting a business and thriving in this value chain.
- What does Agro Logistics & Trade entail?
- The Business Environment for Agro Logistics & Trade businesses (Ease of doing business, Registration landscape, statistics etc.)
- An estimate of the size of the Agro Logistics & Trade market
- The competitive environment for Agro Logistics & Trade
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from Agro Logistics.
- The investment apetite like for Agro Logistics & Trade businesses?
- What are the different ways one can play in the Agro Logistics & Trade space (Storage, aggregator, retail, import/export, etc)?
- How do I identify the appropriate viable Agro Logistics & Trade opportunity to venture into?
- What are dominant key challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges?
- What are the trends influencing the Agro Logistics & Trade value chain?
- What geographical realities influence market availability?
- How does one identify customers/off-takers/target market for an Agro logistics business?
- How does one identify customers/off-takers/target market for local trade of Agro products?
- How does one identify customers/off-takers/target market for import/export of Agro products?
- How does the AFCTA impact the Agro Logistics & Trade value chain
- What are the key building blocks to start and run a successful Agro Logistics & Trade business?
- What are the risks associated with Agro Logistics & Trade businesses?
- What skill and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What is the regulatory landscape around Agro Logistics & Trade related businesses?
- Where can one, who is interested in the sector, get expert support?
- How do I discover investable Agro Logistics & Trade businesses?
- What are critical signals of a healthy, invest-able Agro Logistics & Trade business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in an Agro Logistics & Trade business?
- This session is dedicated to answering selected questions sent in by the audience on agro logistics and trade.
Wed, 07 Jul, 2021
09:00hrs, GMT + 1
Meet the experts who will be discussing the topic
What help do you need?
Share what help you may need and we will be happy to share any information or resource that might be useful to support your journey.