The Business of Agricultural Technology
This session will expose participants to the growing opportunities in AgTech and what participants need to engage profitably. It should expose participants to different potential use cases for Agriculture technology and uncover the key building blocks to start and run an Agtech business.
About the Session
The agriculture sector is characterized by limited investment, low productivity, high post-harvest losses, waste, and lost value along the value chains. Some of the challenges calling for solutions include low crop yields and livestock growth/productivity, conflicts over land, water and other natural resources, easy and timely access to unadulterated inputs, access to useful information and training on best use of inputs, a complex series of middlemen, risky cash transaction-based chain, poor financial record keeping making it difficult for farmers to access credit, sub-optimal transport, aggregation and storage methods, etc.
The agriculture industry is ripe for solutions that improve farming methods and introduce best practices, monitoring farmers’ progress from the start of the farming season through to harvest. improve smallholder farmers’ access to financial services, farm inputs, fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides, and equipment, as well as provide other extension services to farmer and even enabling farmers to access markets by connecting them with produce buyers
Technology is an enabler. It increases productivity and efficiency when deployed appropriately. The premise of Agtech is to leverage technology to plug identified productivity and efficiency gaps, and there are a lot of gaps – which presents an opportunity for enterprise.
What will be covered?
This session will help participants understand the business of Agtech and clarify how they can tap into it. Participants will be exposed to:
- Potential use cases for Agriculture technology
- The key building blocks to start and run an Agtech business.
- What you need to engage profitably in AgTech.
- What is Agtech and why the Hype?
- The Business Environment for Agtech businesses (Ease of doing business, Registration landscape, statistics etc.)
- An estimate of the size of the Agtech market
- The competitive environment for Agtech businesses
- Profit Analysis (A forecast / Cashflow / Wealth creation) – this is a fictional foresight of income generated from Agtech.
- What is the investment apetite like for Agtech businesses?
- What are the different ways one can play in the Agtech space (Mechanization, digital agriculture, process enhancement software, etc)?
- How do I identify the appropriate viable Agtech opportunity to venture into?
- What are dominant key challenges (if any) within the value chain I should be wary of – and what are ways to manage these challenges?
- What are the trends influencing the adoption of Agtech?
- What are key barriers to adoption of Agtech and how should an interested entrepreneur respond to these barriers?
- What is the current market adoption rate for Agtech solutions? What solutions are currently in high demand and what solutions have a high potential in the near future?
- How do one identify customers/off-takers/target market for an Agtech business?
- What are the key building blocks to start and run a successful Agtech business?
- What are the risks associated with Agtech businesses?
- What skill and competence are required to thrive in this sector?
- What is the regulatory landscape around Agtech related businesses?
- Where can one, who is interested in the sector, get expert support?
- How do I discover investable Agtech businesseses?
- What are critical signals off a healthy, invest-able Agtech business?
- What other things should one take into consideration in deciding whether or not to invest in an Agtech business?
- This session is dedicated to answering selected questions sent in by the audience on agricultural technology
Wed, 07 Jul, 2021
11:00hrs, GMT + 1
Meet the experts who will be discussing the topic
What help do you need?
Share what help you may need and we will be happy to share any information or resource that might be useful to support your journey.